The search for a non-surgical treatment to eliminate undesirable fat in the chin and neck area has led to Kybella. This injectable treatment uses deoxycholic acid to break down and absorb dietary fat. Kybella’s unique mechanism of action has caught the attention of many, but it’s essential to understand the science behind it before considering the treatment.
The Science Behind Kybella
Kybella’s science is rooted in the properties of deoxycholic acid. This bile acid occurs inherently in the human body and plays a role in the digestion and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the submental area, which is the region under the chin, Kybella’s active ingredient breaks down the fat cell membrane, releasing fatty acids. The body then metabolizes the fatty acids, effectively eliminating the fat cells. It’s important to note that once the fat cells are destroyed, they cannot regenerate. This means that Kybella offers long-lasting results as long as a healthy lifestyle is maintained.
Kybella’s chemical composition is unique because it is a synthetic form of deoxycholic acid. While deoxycholic acid is found naturally in the body, the amount produced is insufficient to affect fat reduction significantly. However, Kybella’s synthetic version contains a higher acid concentration, effectively destroying fat cells.
From a medical standpoint, Kybella has been approved by the FDA for treating submental fat. This means that it has undergone rigorous clinical testing and has proven safe and effective for use in this area. However, understand that Kybella is not a one-size-fits-all treatment, and its effectiveness may vary depending on the individual’s anatomy and overall health.
The Kybella treatment is a non-surgical, minimally invasive process generally taking less than an hour to conclude. Here is a step-by-step analysis of what to expect during the process:
- Consultation: Before undergoing the Kybella treatment, organize a consultation with a trained medical professional. During this consultation, the individual’s medical history will be reviewed, and the medical professional will assess whether Kybella is the proper treatment for their needs.
- Marking: Once the individual has been approved for Kybella, the medical professional will mark the injection points on the submental area. This will ensure that the injections are placed in the correct locations for optimal results.
- Anesthesia: While Kybella injections are generally well-tolerated, the medical professional may numb the treatment area with a topical anesthetic or ice pack. This can help to minimize discomfort during the injection process.
- Injections: The medical professional will then use a small needle to inject the Kybella solution into the marked areas. The quantity of injections will vary depending on the individual’s anatomy and the amount of submental fat that needs to be treated.
- Massage: The medical professional may massage the treatment area after the injections. This can help to distribute the Kybella solution evenly and break up any remaining fat cells.
After receiving Kybella injections, taking proper care of the treatment area is essential to ensure optimal results and minimize potential side effects. Here are some things to keep in mind during the post-treatment period:
- Swelling and Bruising: It’s common to experience some swelling, bruising, or redness in the treatment area after Kybella injections. This is normal and will subside within days. Applying a cold compress or ice pack to the site can help to minimize swelling and discomfort.
- Numbness: It’s common to experience some numbness or tingling in the treatment area. This results from the Kybella solution working to break down the fat cells. This numbness should also subside within a few days.
- Avoid Strenuous Activity: To minimize the risk of complications and allow the body to heal correctly, it’s important to avoid strenuous exercise or activity for at least 24 hours after the Kybella treatment.
- Sun Exposure: Direct exposure to sunlight can exacerbate swelling and redness in the treatment area, so it’s important to avoid direct sunlight for at least 24 hours after the treatment.
- Follow-Up Appointments: Depending on the individual’s anatomy and the amount of submental fat being treated, multiple Kybella sessions may be necessary. Follow-up appointments with the medical professional will be necessary to assess the results and determine whether additional treatments are needed.
The results of Kybella treatment can vary depending on the individual’s anatomy, the amount of submental fat being treated, and the number of treatment sessions. However, in general, Kybella significantly reduces submental fat, resulting in a more contoured and defined jawline.
Most individuals will see noticeable results within four to six weeks after the Kybella treatment. However, it’s important to note that optimal results may take up to 12 weeks to develop fully. Additionally, while Kybella destroys fat cells and offers long-lasting results, preserving a healthy lifestyle will prevent the formation of new fat cells.
Who Should Consider Kybella?
Kybella may be a suitable treatment option for individuals bothered by the formation of submental fat or a double chin. This may include individuals who have tried diet and exercise but have been unable to reduce the amount of fat in this area.
Kybella is not a weight-loss solution and should not be used as a replacement for healthy lifestyle habits. Additionally, Kybella is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding individuals who have an infection in the treatment area or have had prior neck or chin surgery.
The ideal candidate for Kybella is somebody in good overall health, has realistic expectations for the treatment, and is committed to maintaining a healthy lifestyle. During a consultation with a trained medical professional, the individual’s medical history, goals, and expectations will be assessed to determine whether Kybella is the proper treatment for their needs.
If you’re considering Kybella as a treatment option, work with a medical professional to guide you through the process and ensure optimal results. At White Coat Aesthetics, our team of experienced medical professionals is dedicated to providing personalized care and attention to our patients.
We comprehend that the decision to undergo a cosmetic procedure can be daunting, so we offer a comprehensive consultation to assess your needs, discuss your goals, and answer any questions about Kybella. Our team is reserved to helping you achieve your desired results and providing ongoing support throughout your treatment journey.
Don’t let unwanted submental fat hold you back from feeling confident and comfortable in your skin. Contact White Coat Aesthetics today to schedule your Kybella consultation and take the first step toward a more defined, contoured jawline. Get the best services today!